Thursday, June 22, 2006

Them Crafty Beggars

You know you’re a working girl when you finger-comb your messy hair with one hand and spritz on perfume with the other as you run unglamourously through the Basement 4 carpark on heels, all because you’re late in leaving for your big dinner date.


At a COMBAT session for some of the younger probationers, the facilitator struggled to ask for examples of risky habits from 12 rowdy teenage boys. “Bringing a girl home!” one of them suggested.

“And what are some things you can do with the girl when at home alone?” She asked the group with which I was standing.

“Watch TV,” the cheekiest one returned.

“And what,” she tried again, “Are the possible bad consequences of watching TV with her alone?”

He pasted an innocent smile on his face and replied, completely deadpan, “If sit too close, then must wear spectacles lor.”


Later, he turned to me and gestured to my hoop earrings, saying, “Ma’am, ma’am, later on the train if people got no more handles, they can hold your earrings.”

I bit my lip tightly and tried hard not to laugh.

I really tried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home