Monday, August 21, 2006

Life's Little Pleasures

Shampooing the dog and being sprayed with foamy suds as he shakes himself out and wags his tail.

Curling up next to S in Ben and Jerry’s under the strange, alien-like revolving lights and holding hands to the scent of baking waffle cones.

Being recognised in a lecture by one of my favourite professors because I took his class last semester.

Feeding the hamster so I can watch him empty his cheek pouches frantically into a “secret” corner in his sawdust that everyone knows about.

The first lick of cold whipped cream and chocolate sauce against an intoxicating base of hot cocoa.

Laughing and reminiscing with Mel about the mad days we used to have (and sometimes still do).

Driving along Siglap Road by myself with the radio for company.

A funny message from Priya.

Running into Mel Chia in a Japanese Gender lecture; the last class I had with her was nigh four years ago.


The first week of school has been tempered by so many delightful moments that it’s been really easy going. Sometimes I forget the simple things in chasing parts of the puzzle to make up the bigger picture. Prof Singh said something funny (but true) in last week's lecture.

Something along the lines of, “To be a good student, you have to be two things. Stupid, and hungry. Stupid because you have to be willing to admit that you do not know, and hungry because then you want to learn.”

Well, I’m always hungry, and certainly more than a little stupid!

I just hope this bodes well for me this year and “feeds my hunger”, so to speak. That, or I could always end up working at Macdonald’s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home