Wednesday, June 17, 2009

In Other News

Tel Megiddo was awesome! I hadn't been to the one last year, but the music this year was good, varied and tight and a nice break from three hours at the hospital. The bands were mostly accomplished and sounded really great live. Death Warrant was (surprisingly) tight that night. I say surprisingly because I've been to some of their jam sessions.

Stampede was really good too, I think I got a neckache headbanging to them. Most people there had never heard them before because they don't play gigs very often but people really started streaming in and stayed to clap and cheer and listen to the whole set because they just looked and sounded so neat. I think my brothers were suitably impressed - I saw HS shouting the drummer on very loudly because he's mad skilled. The D said he made lots of mistakes, but I couldn't hear them or tell. From where I was standing he just looked very macho (and bald) and the bass was roaring along sexily.

I really screamed myself hoarse for Death Warrant though, they have tons of fans and were very funny - from the moment the emcee introduced them with "you asked for the best, we got you the cheapest", the audience laughed throughout the set. Plus people really dug how Han actually left the stage mid-song to get a beer. Even their original sounded awesome and I really surprised and embarassed myself by knowing some of the lyrics. Han's voice and HS's drumming were faultless and of course, Kristian brought his trademark cool. Clearly, my youngest brother is also popular with the ladies.

Death Warrant and Stampede fighting it out respectively (ganked from various facebooks, too lazy to acknowledge, just know that they are not mine!)




Special mention to Shotgun Start who also played a great show - their vocalist, this emo kid dressed all in black and eyeliner with Adam Lambert hair (as Niki said), really looks like a loser but he was unbelievable. He sounded like a harder Bon Jovi and hit every piercing note dead on key and without any strain.

The best moment of the night however: when some kid at the door asked for my ID. "What?" I turned and stared at her blankly, patting the pockets of my jeans. "I don't have it."

"I need to see your ID," she repeated flatly, looking at me over the rims of her glasses with 17-year-old exasperation. "Or you can't drink."

"Are you kidding?!" I stood there goggling like an idiot. "I'm telling you, I don't have an ID." You should be showing me yours, I wanted to add.

"Then how do I know you're of age?" She huffed, glaring at me.
At which point, Sarah, Kristian's girlfriend turned around and said: "Dude! She's HW's sister. She's of age. She's WAY of age."

Thanks very much kiddo, I'll take that as a compliment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home