Sunday, October 15, 2006

Verbal Diarrhoea

"... I haven’t written music for a long time now, since a while before I left for the States. I don’t know why. Is it because I’ve lost all inspiration or because I just stopped practising? I've lost my voice completely and I don't even remember if I was ever any good in the first place.

It’s hard to play in my house. People appreciate only certain genres of music and there is certainly no room for error or experimental practise. I can’t sing off-key or attempt to hit strange notes when others are around because it irritates them and makes me so self-conscious. I used to envy the way my musically-inclined friends would belt their lungs out and bang on their pianos at home and the first words out of my mouth would be, “What about your parents and the neighbours? Don’t they complain?”

And of course, no piano when the TV or the news is on which is almost all the time. By the time everyone has gone to bed, silent hours have to be observed too. I used to fight for my right to practise against the TV, against the guitar, against the music blaring from the PC just beside me. After awhile, when I still couldn't hear myself, I just kind of stopped trying.

I haven't touched my piano in months, and it kills me.

But I see her sing. And now I want my music back. I want to be able to make silly mistakes and strange noises without people staring over my shoulder..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home